Wednesday, August 29, 2012

A twist on tomato pie

It's no lie that I loved the tomato pie I made the other week.  And lucky for me, the pie crust I used came in a package of 2 and that 2nd crust kept calling my name , begging to be used again and soon!

I think all that thinking about tomato pie lead me to thinking about a twist on the recipe, what else could I make a pie from....hmm. This recipe almost sounded like a quiche recipe to me, great on it's own, but at the same time, open to other possibilities.

Broccoli. That sounds like the winner. I blanched some broccoli and cut up a Black Krim heirloom tomato picked right from the vine in my backyard! Now there is a winning combination! Seeded and salted the tomato slices and let them sit for a bit. Seeding the tomatoes I think is a good tip to keep things from getting too mushy.

I didn't use the basil this time around, instead I used McCormick's seasoned sea salt to season the pie, which is a great discovery thanks to my good friend and fellow foodie, Amanda. :)

Everything else was the same as the original recipe (see August 20 post for that link).

The end result?....DELICIOUSNESS!



The broccoli just chillin' while the tomatoes are salting.


It may have been a weird combo, but I made pork cutlets with sauerkraut that day as well.

1 comment:

  1. I planted tomatoes so late in the season, I don't know if I'll get any or not...but I live in CA...doesn't that mean an endless Summer? Looks good!

    ReplyDelete

Hello again.  I've been away for a very long time again! 3 years ...DANG!! Well, coming back is what's important, right?!  Like visi...