Monday, September 3, 2012

Non traditional meal

Headed to the folks for a labor day weekend lunch. Some people make hamburgers or hot dogs, but no, not me. I make crepes.

I'm not completely sure how I came up with this idea except that I was looking for something quick and easy.

This was only my 2nd time making crepes, and I won't be my last! I was really happy with how they came out.

I made 2 savory crepes, spinach and mushroom and prosciutto and mozzarella cheese crepes.

http://www.food.com/recipe/savory-mushroom-spinach-cheese-crepes-373390
This is the recipe I followed for the spinach and mushroom crepes.

http://spinachtiger.com/cooking-italy-crespelles-with-prosciutto-fresh-tomato-and-mozzarella/
This is the recipe I followed for the prosciutto crepes.

Of course I took some liberties with each recipe. I added some onions to the mushroom and spinach mixture and I made individually wrapped crepes for the prosciutto crepes.  My quick tomato sauce came out really well too. I used a 28oz. can of diced tomatoes and had plenty of sauce.

I sauteed 2 minced garlic cloves and  diced onion in olive oil for a few minutes.  Added in the can of tomatoes, seasoned it with italian seasoning,  brought it all to a boil and then let it simmer for 20 minutes.  I ran half of the mixture through the blender to puree it and added it back to the other half so the result was a light chunky sauce.

I also made baked chicken drumsticks. I know it's a weird addition, but I needed something "meaty" and it's something I would never make at home...and you know what, I made some kick ass drumsticks! Removed the skin and marinated the chicken with some salt, pepper, garlic powder and seasoned sea salt.  I also seasoned the flour, egg and panko used as well.







1 comment:

  1. Everything looks fabulous!...those drumsticks! They looked fried...I may have to give that a try.

    ReplyDelete

Hello again.  I've been away for a very long time again! 3 years ...DANG!! Well, coming back is what's important, right?!  Like visi...